What is the molar mass of aluminum
There is a big possibility that during your chemistry studies at high school or university you will have to deal with different chemical problems that have to do with calculating the molar mass of various substances. In order to have necessary skills to deal with this assignment, not to be afraid every time you are asked to deal with a chemical problem like this and to comprehend the methodology, the key principles of coping with this task, you have to possess certain knowledge about it and learn the essentials once and for all. Surely it is going to take certain amount of time and efforts, although once you learn how to calculate molar mass of aluminum, you will not be afraid to solve this chemical problem and there is a chance that you will need this skill in your future life. Besides getting familiar with the practical side of solving the problem, you also will have to learn some theory at first, make sure you have the needed theoretical background and understanding of several chemical terms. Below in this article, we provided some basic information that will be useful when building theoretical background about the given aspect of chemistry, help you figure out how to calculate the molar mass of aluminum, as well as provided a number of guidelines that will help you accomplish the assigned paper on chemistry at a high level. Keep reading to learn more.
In chemistry, when it comes to the molar mass of something we usually mean a specific physical property that indicates the mass of some kind of substance. As for the amount of substance, it is considered to be a chemical term that serves to describe the quantity of measurement of the size of certain ensemble number of various chemical elementary entities, which includes such elements as electrons, molecules, atoms and a variety of others. In the light of several historical reasons, such phenomenon as molar mass can be expressed in grams and moles, as a rule. Generally speaking, considering the fact that all types of mass, regardless of the science that deals with it, are meant to describe the amount of matter in something. If it is chemistry, it will probably be a substance, but as a whole, it can be any other material, anything that you can touch physically. Look around and you will see that everything that is available to be touched has its particular mass, all kinds of things, clothes, furniture, plants, food, people and animals, etc. As a rule, mass is closely connected to another physical property such as size. On the other hand, however, the size doesn’t always dictate the mass of the matter. For instance, there are situations when a matter is of a very big size but its mass is less in comparison to something else that has a smaller size. If you try to compare such properties of paper and any kind of metal, you will find out that the pieces of the equal size of different matters have absolutely different mass. Anyway, all the physical measures that are known today can be easily measured. All you have is to find out the methodology of measurement and follow essential guidelines. Below, we provided you with a clear explanation of calculating the molar mass of aluminum.
Where aluminum is used
The number of areas where aluminum is widely used is really great and it is increasing all the time. Today this element is known as a very good and convenient conductor of electricity and heat, it is used in almost all kinds of contemporary industries, in building, production of a great number of things surrounding us every day. The majority of people may not even pay attention to how many things are made from aluminum. Many window frames are made from it, the production of power cables and even bodies of aircraft is impossible without this kind of chemical element. Look at the soft drinks that you buy in the supermarkets and you will find out that the majority of cans is made from aluminum. Apart from all this, aluminum is very helpful in producing different parts of cars, compact discs, building big ships and small boats. Due to the fact that this kind of metal is very soft, it allows to use it in the areas where other metals are not convenient enough because they all are much harder. These are only several examples showing you how beneficial is the usage of aluminum for all people in the world. Below, we provided more precise list of areas where aluminum is very important.
- Almost all kinds of vehicles cannot be constructed and made without the usage of aluminum. Whether it is an automobile, bicycle, ship or even space ship, train or a motorcycle, the main common characteristic of all of these vehicles is that they are all made partly from aluminum.
- Many different kinds of food and drinks are packaged in cans made from aluminum. Beer, soft drinks, juices, conservations, etc. are usually packaged in aluminum cans.
- A great number of household items. You can find aluminum everywhere in your home, starting from various utensils for cooking and finishing with watches or even bats for basketball.
- Consumer electronics and equipment. There are many devices that are made form aluminum or partly include this element. For example, photographic equipment, many telephones, some computers, watches and so on.
- Transmission cables for distribution of power (electricity). Aluminum is a perfect means to distribute electricity through special transmission lines. In this case, the importance of aluminum is absolutely undoubtable, since electricity is an essential part of contemporary life.
- Pyrotechnics equipment. Whenever you see salut as a sign of celebration of something, keep in mind that all this can be seen due to aluminum that allows to construct pyrotechnics equipment.
- Due to the fact that aluminum is rather light and resistant to corrosion, in comparison to many other metals, it is widely used as utensils for cooking.
- A big number of musical instruments are made from aluminum. There are a lot of guitars that are made from this metal because it allows the instrument sound very specific.
- Aluminum is even used in the form of money. Some countries, especially the European ones, use this kind of metal as a material for their coins.
- Medicine, including the majority of its branches (stomatology, cosmetology, dermatology and so on). A great variety of medical equipment is made from aluminum.
Some facts form the history of aluminum
Apart from knowing how to calculate the molar mass of aluminum, you need also to be aware of the history of this chemical element, because without essential theoretical knowledge you will not go really far. The first appearance of aluminum is considered to be in Ancient Greece. However, within centuries it hasn’t reached such a popularity as it managed to reach during nineteenth century. As a matter of fact, many scientists argue that aluminum is one of the latest kinds of metals that were discovered through the history. It was quite hard to be produced in the beginning, because it never occurs in nature in its purest from. This circumstance required technological development and improvement of means of producing this kind of metal. Therefore, it became popular only when humanity had enough of technologies, which allowed to produce aluminum. However, aluminum was known and used by people long before it appeared in the form that we know it today. Ancient armies of Greece and Rome were using equipment made from aluminum, and it was also used in such field as medicine.
The term «aluminum» was originated from a Latin word «alum». For the first time the term was used in the very beginning of the nineteenth century in Great Britain. At that time, scientists discovered the importance of aluminum for electrolytic reduction. This discovery, however, has never been implemented into real life. Aluminum as a chemical element was widely used for different chemical experiments, which was very beneficial to the progress of science and technologies of the nineteenth century. In the end of nineteenth century it was discovered that aluminum was a perfect kind of metal to be used in many areas of industry. The European scientists made a conclusion that this metal has a number of very specific properties that makes it different from all the other kinds of metal. In fact, it is very light and served perfectly for creating ornaments and expensive items for rich people of that time (although today this metal is not really expensive, in comparison to others). With further technological progress the production and usage of aluminum was developing and spreading throughout the world. Many new approaches to the production of this metal were discovered and this issue became a very important topic of discussion in the scientific circles.
With the beginning of the twentieth century aluminum began to be used in a wide range of industries around the globe. Many vehicles were constructed with the usage of aluminum, such as lightweight railway road cars followed by sports cars. Together with the development of aviation, the importance of aluminum increased significantly. The usage of this metal in aircraft construction was a great breakthrough, many historians and scientists consider this phenomenon to be a real revolution. As it is widely known, during the first half of the nineteenth century the world entered the historical period of two world wars, the consequences of which were unbelievable. But not everyone realizes that the majority of weapons and means of waging those wars were constructed with the help of aluminum. Turns out, this metal played a significant role in that period of history.
Calculating the molar mass of aluminum
In order to be able to calculate the molar mass of aluminum, the theoretical background itself is not enough. You need to undertake certain steps that you can get familiar with if you read further.
- First of all, you need to look for the atom relative mass of aluminum. By the term «relative mass», you should understand the overall mass of the isotopes that aluminum includes. While taking this step, use the periodic table of elements. You will find there aluminum and pay attention to the number below under the symbol defining the element.
- After that, it is time for multiplying the molar mass by the relative atom mass. Be very attentive with converting atomic units to grans per mole, as long as this is something that will affect the results of your experiment significantly.
- Once you have undertaken the previous step, you need to find out the needed chemical formula for dealing with the given compound. By «compound» you should understand certain number of atoms that aluminum includes.
- Your next step would be to calculate the molar mass of every element that the given compound consists of. In order to do this, you have to multiply the molar mass of aluminum and other elements of compound by certain number of atoms. Thus, you will get the amount of every element that is contributed to the compound.
- Within the final step you need to add the molar masses of every element of the given compound to each other. Therefore, you will get the required result.
Our Service Charter
Excellent Quality / 100% Plagiarism-FreeWe employ a number of measures to ensure top quality essays. The papers go through a system of quality control prior to delivery. We run plagiarism checks on each paper to ensure that they will be 100% plagiarism-free. So, only clean copies hit customers’ emails. We also never resell the papers completed by our writers. So, once it is checked using a plagiarism checker, the paper will be unique. Speaking of the academic writing standards, we will stick to the assignment brief given by the customer and assign the perfect writer. By saying “the perfect writer” we mean the one having an academic degree in the customer’s study field and positive feedback from other customers.
Free RevisionsWe keep the quality bar of all papers high. But in case you need some extra brilliance to the paper, here’s what to do. First of all, you can choose a top writer. It means that we will assign an expert with a degree in your subject. And secondly, you can rely on our editing services. Our editors will revise your papers, checking whether or not they comply with high standards of academic writing. In addition, editing entails adjusting content if it’s off the topic, adding more sources, refining the language style, and making sure the referencing style is followed.
Confidentiality / 100% No DisclosureWe make sure that clients’ personal data remains confidential and is not exploited for any purposes beyond those related to our services. We only ask you to provide us with the information that is required to produce the paper according to your writing needs. Please note that the payment info is protected as well. Feel free to refer to the support team for more information about our payment methods. The fact that you used our service is kept secret due to the advanced security standards. So, you can be sure that no one will find out that you got a paper from our writing service.
Money Back GuaranteeIf the writer doesn’t address all the questions on your assignment brief or the delivered paper appears to be off the topic, you can ask for a refund. Or, if it is applicable, you can opt in for free revision within 14-30 days, depending on your paper’s length. The revision or refund request should be sent within 14 days after delivery. The customer gets 100% money-back in case they haven't downloaded the paper. All approved refunds will be returned to the customer’s credit card or Bonus Balance in a form of store credit. Take a note that we will send an extra compensation if the customers goes with a store credit.
24/7 Customer SupportWe have a support team working 24/7 ready to give your issue concerning the order their immediate attention. If you have any questions about the ordering process, communication with the writer, payment options, feel free to join live chat. Be sure to get a fast response. They can also give you the exact price quote, taking into account the timing, desired academic level of the paper, and the number of pages.